Synthesize literature and apply the scientific method to the design and writing of a research proposal.
Demonstrate proficiency and competency with regards to coursework taken towards PhD.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing through presentation of the ecological and management context, research approach, and world of inference.
This program emphasizes the scientific method in developing critical thinking and analytical skills applied to conservation and management problems related to wildlife ecology, wildlands, restoration science and/or rangeland/wildland ecology. Depending on the emphasis, advanced training in topic specialties may be complemented by courses in statistics, geographical information systems (GIS), soil sciences, model testing, systematics, or advanced ecology. All emphases require original research topics with the results presented in dissertation format. This research is expected to be of a publication quality and dissertation style best reflecting that of a professional journal, thus facilitating timely submissions for publication. We also encourage formal presentations at professional meetings.
Requirements for Degree
- Credit hours: minimum 54 credit hours, including 18 hours of dissertation (PWS 799R).
- Students who have earned a master’s degree must complete at least 36 credit hours of additional graduate work at BYU beyond the master’s degree.
- Required courses: PWS 694R (seminar—four semesters). Additional courses as determined by student’s advisory committee and approved by department graduate coordinator.
- Two consecutive six-hour semesters on BYU campus to fulfill the doctoral residency requirement.
- Biannual progress reviews by advisory committee and graduate committee.
- Presentation of research prospectus to advisory committee.
- Dissertation: completion of the dissertation in scientific journal format and prepared for journal submission.
- Examination: (A) comprehensive oral and written examination; (B) oral defense of dissertation.
Baccalaureate degree or equivalentRequired Tests: GRE, TOEFL, or IELTS